Patients of Courage
Triumph Over Adversity
The Patients of Courage: Triumph Over Adversity program honors reconstructive plastic surgery patients whose lives were restored through reconstructive plastic surgery and whose charitable actions influence the lives around them.
ASPS members nominate patients who carry an optimistic outlook on life and positively affect people around them, despite the difficulties of their reconstructive procedures.
How to Nominate Patients
Nominations for the 2022 Patients of Courage: Triumph Over Adversity program are due by 11:59 PM on May 1, 2022.
Email your application to email@example.com.
ASPS members or their staff are asked to submit a nomination letter – no more than two pages in length – about each nominee. Patients must have been treated and currently reside in the United States, with the exception of U.S. military patients. Nominations will not be considered unless they include specific, mandatory information. Nominations must be sent via email and include the following information:
- The patient's name, age and contact information (address, phone and e-mail, for internal use only)
- A short description of treatment (lengthy descriptions of surgical treatments are discouraged)
- An explanation of how the patient successfully recovered
- An explanation of how the patient turned his or her journey into a positive life-changing experience
- A description of how the patient gives back to others in the community
- Details about this unique patient/doctor relationship
- Confirmation that the nominee will allow ASPS to visit his or her hometown to film a short video about how the patient overcame adversity
- One current .JPG photo of the patient clothed, or one pair of before-and-after photos; A photo of the patient participating in his or her charitable work is preferred
- Signed patient authorization forms releasing the patient's information and photos to ASPS (links are at top of page)